Social Security & Pensions
Aging Life Care Professionals™ … coordinating services to optimize health and quality of life.
The Aging Life Care Association™ (ALCA), formerly National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers, is an organization of practitioners who use a holistic, client-centered approach to caring for older adults or others facing ongoing health challenges. ALCA is committed to maximizing the independence and autonomy of elders and strives to ensure the highest quality and most cost-effective health and human services. Members help older persons and their families cope with the challenges of aging through education, advocacy, counseling, and service delivery.
Social Security & Pensions
Social Security is the cornerstone of the nation’s income protection system for America’s seniors. Older Americans receive monthly social security benefits, which provide some financial independence. For many seniors, social security benefits supplemented by employer sponsored and individual defined contribution plans and retirement savings enable them to live independently.
I. Social Security
- The social security trust funds be protected, secured and invested for the maximum benefit of all beneficiaries.
- Social Security, Retirement, Survivors, Disability Insurance (RSDI) and SSI benefits be maintained at least at their present levels. Regular cost of living increases must be guaranteed and the calculation should reflect the true change in the cost of living for the beneficiaries.
- The eligibility criteria for all classes of benefits currently paid under title II of the Social Security Act be maintained at least at their present levels.
- The earning limitations imposed on social security beneficiaries be removed.
- The Social Security Administration annual administrative budget allocation be adequate to ensure timely service to all current and potential Social Security beneficiaries.
ALCA supports: a continuing role for Social Security (RSDI) in meeting the income needs of older and disabled individuals and their survivors.
- Employer sponsored pension funds be maintained in insured accounts.
- Employer sponsored retirement funds be transferable when an employee leaves his/her position with that employer.
- All employees have access to a retirement savings program—either through an employer sponsored plan or through an automated individual retirement account plan.
ALCA supports: the maximizing of access, due process rights, and remedies under individual and employer retirement benefit plans.
Resolutions Approved by the NAPGCM Board of Directors March 31, 2000.
Position Paper was reviewed, updated and approved by the Public Policy Committee on December 17, 2007.
Position Paper was reviewed, updated and approved by the Board of Directors on February 2, 2008.
Position Paper was reviewed, updated and approved by the Board of Directors on November7, 2013