Certification At a Glance – Certification Grid
Certification Renewal at a Glance – Certification Renewal Grid
Certification is the demonstration of applied knowledge through a combination of training, and supervised work experience related to the knowledge, skills and functions of a specified area of expertise.
ALCA Aging Life Care Professionals™ who aspire to be professionally-recognized as "Certified" and an Advanced Professional level member, must hold at least one of the four certifications listed below, in addition to having met ALCA’s education and work experience requirements. For existing members or new members who do not yet meet these requirements, other membership levels are available.
about the difference between a “Certificate” from an accredited university and “Certification” from an ALCA-approved certifying body.
ALCA-approved Certifying Bodies
ALCA is not a certifying body; however, ALCA recognizes four certifications provided by three certifying bodies, the National Academy of Certified Care Managers (NACCM), Commission for Case Manager Certification (CCMC), and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW).
- National Academy of Certified Care Managers (NACCM)
Care Manager Certified – CMC
- Commission for Case Manager Certification (CCMC)
Certified Case Manager – CCM
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
Certified Advanced Social Work Case Manager (C-ASWCM)*
Certified Social Work Case Manager (C-SWCM)*
800.638.8799 ext. 409
*These are the only certifications from NASW that fulfill ALCA certification requirements. The Gerontology Specialty Certifications, Clinical Social Worker in Gerontology (CSW-G) and Advanced Social Worker in Gerontology (ASW-G) do NOT fulfill ALCA Certification requirements.
If you would like to inquire about the recertification process, please contact the certifying body directly using the information provided above.
Interested in Joining ALCA?
- If you are interested in joining ALCA at the Advanced Professional level, you must hold one of the four required certifications above in addition to meeting the educational and experience requirements.
- If you meet the educational and experience requirements but currently do not hold one of the four approved certifications, you can apply at the Professional level.
- ALCA’s Associate level has been designed for working professionals who do not currently meet the certification, work experience, and/or education requirements at this time.
Already an ALCA Member?
Thinking about advancing to the Advanced Professional level of Membership? Be recognized as the gold standard in Aging Life Care and take advantage of additional benefits for Advanced Professionals. If you meet the education and experience requirements, and now hold one of the recognized certifications - please send a copy of your certification to the ALCA office. An additional fee is required.